Plants can be powerful poisons and have been used as such for millennia. However, as gardeners we are more concerned with the prevention of accidental poisoning or adverse toxic reactions. Many of the plants that we commonly grow in our gardens could be considered poisonous or toxic in some way but with some knowledge, and common sense, can be grown safely and enjoyed for their ornamental beauty.
This session will investigate the chemistry behind the toxic nature of a range of common garden plants, explaining what is present in the plants and where, allowing the gardener to make informed decisions about what to grow and what not to grow. Whilst participants will not be surprised at some of the plants discussed, others may cause a few eyebrows to be raised!